momwritings

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

CHILL IN THE AIR

There's a chill in the air
and the sweet smell of pine
Friends coming together
it's Christmas time

Children playing with sleds
on the new fallen snow
Toys in store windows
have their eyes all aglow

Chapel bells ringing
from the old town square
Decorations on Main Street
being put up with care

Christmas shoppers beginning
to fill the malls
Where trees are adorned
with garland and balls

Out Christmas shopping
I spotted a sign
Santa's Work Shop,
with children in line

I walked up closer
so that I could hear
What the children wanted
from Santa this year

When from in line
I saw a young lad
By the look on his face,
I could tell he was sad

I walked up closer
so that I could see
As he took his turn
upon Santa's knee

Santa, I don't want toys
under the tree
All I want is my Daddy, here
with Mommy and me

It's been so long
since he's been gone
When he left the grass was
still green on the lawn

You see, We're in the Military
and he had to go
And Mommy and I miss him,
more than you know

When I'm in bed and
she thinks I'm asleep
She reads over his letters
and starts to weep

But, if you can't do it,
I'll understand
Since Daddy's been gone,
I'm Mom's little man

As you deliver your presents,
give a message from me
We gave up Christmas with Daddy,
So children stay free!

Barbara Cox

No comments: